Friday, September 9, 2011

Why Germany?


       I am extremely excited for the D- term trip to Germany. This trip will be the first time that I have ever been outside of the United States and I am not only excited, but also a little nervous. I am not entirely sure what to expect yet but I know that this trip will be full of new experiences and I am sure to learn a lot. The main reason I chose to study abroad in Germany was because I am about 75% German. My father is mostly German and was actually born in Germany and my mother is about 50% German. I wanted to learn more about my family’s past and my family’s heritage. It will be interesting to learn more about my family’s background and experience the German culture as my ancestors did many years ago. I feel that the best way to learn about a certain culture is to actually be immersed in it yourself and get a hands on feel for the different customs and the different ways of life. I’m also anxious to see all the different castles and churches with the outstanding architecture and design. Not only will sight seeing and learning about the German culture be rewarding, but studying abroad will also help me in my future. Although this is a fairly short trip, I am sure that it will open my eyes to many new and intriguing things that will be useful later on in life. I am majoring in Education and as a teacher it is important to have broad horizons and having several different experiences such as studying abroad to foreign countries are great to help to broaden your perspective on life. I will come home with many stories to share with not only my class in the future but also my friends and family. I will be able to inform my younger siblings about their family’s heritage and the different lifestyles they live in Germany. This trip to Germany will most likely be very influential and mark the first time that I am leaving the United States, but most certainly not the last. It is not very often that you get opportunities like this to study abroad and to visit so many educational places in one short visit and I am going to take advantage of it in every way possible. 
Normal_Uni-Bibliothek.jpg
Library of Heidelberg University- the oldest University in Germany
german-flag11.jpg
German Flag: Yellow - a symbol of generosity; red- bravery and strength; black- determination

No comments:

Post a Comment